Fr. Jose Poch

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Would You Be My Valentine?

On Saturday, February 14, 2015, we will be celebrating the Day of St. Valentine. St. Valentine of Rome, according to tradition, was a Christian saint who was imprisoned for performing weddings for soldiers who were forbidden to marry and for ministering to Christians who were persecuted under the Roman Empire and was later executed. There are surely other traditions to the origins of St. Valentine’s Day. The date was first associated with romantic love during the High Middle Ages when the tradition of courtly love flourished and has further evolved into a day in which those in love give each other flowers, presents or some other expression of affection. Today, on Valentine’s Day even friendships are celebrated.

I have been married for almost 39 years to my one and only Valentine and I look forward to celebrating this day with her and not only this day but every day for the rest of our natural lives. When I think of Valentine’s Day I can’t help but to think of that precious poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning:

HOW DO I LOVE THEE?

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of being and ideal grace.
I love thee to the level of every day’s
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light
I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints. I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life; and if God chooses
I shall love thee better after death.

However, the true purity and perfectness of real and lasting love can be found in no other example than in the sacrificial love of Father, Son and Holy Spirit. The love within the Trinity itself for each of its members is the greatest example of love. That is why they relate to each other with the filial terms, My Father, My Son and My Spirit. They are intrinsically related to one another in inseparable ways. But also the love of the Trinity for the world and the creatures they created is clearly evident in the way the Father constantly seeks the lost, with mercy and compassion, the way the Son sacrificially offers Himself on the cross as the Redeemer of sinners and the way the Holy Spirit works within each of us to sanctify us and lead and draw us to the Father and to the Son.

The greatest, most beautiful and most profound description of this love within the Trinity and therefore the greatest example of what love should and must look like for all of us, including within the marriage relationship, is not in a poem but rather in St. Paul’s First letter to the Corinthians: Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” This is the kind of love that all of us seek for with the greatest longing, hunger and thirst for passionately and that would satisfy us at the deepest levels and would be the greatest gift we could give to one another this Valentine’s Day and every other day of the year.


Is this how you express love for your Valentine? You should! What do you think?

No comments: