Fr. Jose Poch

Tuesday, November 29, 2011


           I have to confess that I don’t fully understand what this movement is all about. Perhaps someone can help me understand its goals and purposes. I know that it gets its impetus from "the Arab Spring" - demonstrations in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya that toppled oppressive political regimes in their countries. Their movement, I understood. Their goals were clear and achievable. I also understand that people and especially young people are angry and concerned for their future.  They are angry at the rate of unemployment and the prospect of not finding better jobs in the near future. They are angry with the government for not finding solutions for our economic disaster other than bailing out big corporations and banks (the culprits in the first place). They are angry at the 1% of the wealthy whom they feel are getting richer and richer while the rest of us, the 99%, are not sharing in the wealth. I understand the outcry at the financial inequality in our country and the world, what else is new? This is the way it has always been everywhere, thus the desired Robin Hood  story, take from the rich and give to the poor. Isn’t this what Socialism and Communism in theory is all about? Didn’t I live this in Cuba to the detriment of my country? Is Fidel Castro a Robin Hood type? God forbid if he is the example to follow in this country!
          So what is the clear, reasonable and achievable goal of the Occupy Movement other than causing chaos and disruption and raising their voices (which they have very effectively done)? Clearly some are taking advantage of the situation and the movement for their own purposes. Last night I heard in the news about marijuana smoking individuals inclined toward Socialism and Communism who are clearly enjoying the situation for political gain. What are the clear, reasonable and achievable goals that we can respect and look forward to? What are the positive changes it seeks to bring to our country? Help me understand.
          Lets blog!